Sunday, November 7, 2010

Update #1 - A New Esrog Tree Takes Root - Nov 2010


I tried to grow an esrog tree last year, in Fair Lawn, New Jersey, using the seeds from my esrog following the end of the holiday of Succos. One seed took root, and the sapling grew to almost a foot in height. During the past summer, I had the sapling outside for a good part of the summer, which featured several periods of extreme heat. Apparently, such high temperatures (close to 105 degrees) are too extreme for a young esrog tree; the leaves withered, and the tree died.

I decided to try again this year. I planted quite a few seeds in different pots, and now have six small esrog saplings ranging from one inch to about five inches in height. I also have one nice little esrog plant growing under a plant light, with timer, of course, in my office in Secaucus, New Jersey. The picture included in this post is the esrog plant in my office.

I will try different combinations of light and heat. Hopefully, at least one of the saplings will grow to maturity, which takes about seven years to bear fruit.

It's early November, 2010. The leaves are mostly on the lawn, and winter is approaching. That means gray skies, cold winds, snow and sleet. So it's especially nice to have the esrog saplings to take care of during the winter.

Look for my next post; hopefully before Thanksgiving

Shalom.

5 comments:

  1. My tree is nowhere near a foot tall, and it's more than a year old. You seem to be having good results overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post from a very warm and sunny Israel. Maybe I will bring some Holy Land dirt home NEXT WEEK????
    :)
    Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also growing an esrog tree using a seed from this past years esrog. I was wondering what kind of light are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 12 seedlings I started after the holiday in 2010. Two have started branching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After 3 years, my tree is now starting to bud! Does the tree need to be in the ground before it begins to bud for the esrogim to be kosher?

    ReplyDelete