Saturday, November 20, 2010

Update #3 - November 20, 2010 - an etrog grove


I am happy to report that quite a few of the etrog seeds have germinated and are taking root. Attached is a picture from my office. There are 6 sapplings in small planters, and 2 in a cup of water with Miracle Grow, soon to be trasplanted. I have set aside a small corner with a plant light, set on a timer, providing light and warmth to my "etrog grove". There is a small Israeli flag and a model of a Kfir fighter jet, with Stars of David on its wings, symbolically providing protection for my "small slice of Israel" chutz l'aretz (outside the land).

I have explained to my co-workers (mostly non Jewish) what an etrog is, and they frequently stop by to see how the sapplings are doing.

It's mid November. The weather outside is still fairly mild. There has been no snow yet, and no bitter cold temperatures. The leaves are mostly down. I probably have one more session with the leaf blower, and that should do it for this season.

My younger daughter, Alisa, who is 23 and spending the year in Israel is due back for ten days, right before Thanksgiving. She offered to bring some dirt back from the Holy Land for my etrog sapplings.

Look for my next post in early December. I will include some pictures of the sapplings at home in Fair Lawn.

Shavua Tov (Have a good week)

2 comments:

  1. I made your blog!!!
    Can't wait to see the etrogs this week
    Love Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled across your blog. Keep up with your trees. I have been at this for 5-1/2 years - growing etrog trees from seed. Last year, a tree that I gave to friend grew its first etrog. This year, his tree has several flowers on it. In addition, 5 of my 5-year old trees have a number of buds. At my friends suggestion, I started using Dr. Earth fruit tree fertlizer. I also supplement winter sunlight with some artificial light.

    ReplyDelete